Traveling from Colombia to other countries has been, for years, a process that requires paperwork, a long wait, a considerable economic cost and sometimes endless documents whose number grows depending on the destination.
For example, to travel to the United States, a visa is required, the process of which can sometimes be confusing due to the large number of categories that exist in this type of document, since it is the entry ticket to this country to legally enter.
However, there are different categories and types of visas to enter the country. One of them is the H-2B, offered to temps. Therefore, due to labor shortages, the US government announced 35,000 additional visas for temporary non-agricultural workers. In this sense, he pointed out that of the 35,000, 11,500 would be for citizens of Haiti, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the visa allocation will be H-2B, temporary nonfarm employment for the period between April 1 and September 30.
With this news, he is expected to support American businesses and also expand legal opportunities for those seeking to work in the United States. In the same vein, private companies in this country recorded the creation of 455,000 jobs in March for the service sector, however, the labor market continues to be limited by the shortage of workers. .
On the other hand, it should be noted that the government is granting 23,500 visas to workers who have already received a similar visa or obtained H-2B status through other means in the past three fiscal years. In addition, it was learned that employers who hire workers must certify that they do not have enough capable, willing, available and qualified American workers to fill the temporary position.
Likewise, they must demonstrate that employing H-2B workers will not affect the wages and working conditions of Americans in similar employment.
In general, visas have a scope and qualification that determine the activity that a person can carry out in a given territory. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, for its acronym in English), determines that the H-2B type visas allow several companies located in the North American country to bring foreign citizens to carry out work in the form of temporary work, that is to say for a specific time.
The main feature of this type of visa is that it allows “temporarily hold non-agricultural jobs”, such as gardeners, waiters, cooks, cleaners, typists, laborers and other work practices related to each work sector.
If a company wishes to obtain the H-2B visa, it must demonstrate to the entities in charge that it has few active personnel.which resides in the United States, for the proper execution of its production facility.
Likewise, for a person to have this type of visa, they must have a direct contract with the company, which will take care of supporting the process and requesting the documents.
Those who wish to learn more and know the additional requirements for the H-2B type visa should go to USCIS website.
Documents required to apply for a visa in the United States
According to the United States Department of State, United States Bureau of Consular Affairs, the documents that are necessary to have in advance for the time of the appointment are:
- Travel Itineraryif you have already organized your trip.
- Dates of your last five visits or trips to the United States, if you have already traveled to this country. You may also be asked for your international travel history within the past five years.
- Curriculum vitae: You may be required to provide information about your current and previous educational and work history.
- Other information: Some applicants, depending on the intended purpose of travel, will be asked to provide additional information when completing Form DS-160.
Some applicants will need to have additional information and documents on hand to complete the DS-160:
- Exchange students and visitors (F, J and M) : They will be asked to provide their SEVIS ID (which is, according to Thonguhtco, the form that must be completed and paid for by foreigners wishing to study in the United States), which is printed on your I-20 or DS-2019 , so you should have this form handy when completing your DS-160. You will also be asked for the address of the school/program where you intend to study. This information must also appear on your Form I-20 or DS-2019.
- Temporary workers on request (H-1B, H-2, H-3, CW1, L, O, P, R, E2C): They must have a copy of their I-129 available when you complete your DS-160.
- Other temporary workers: They will need to provide employer information while completing their DS-160.
With information from AFP.