Nairobi Quintana had an unlucky day in the turkey tower. This Monday, during the second stepthe Colombian cyclist was involved in two fallswhich caused him to lose time in the fight for the general classification.
The first incident occurred in the absence of 37.8 kilometers for the purpose, when the boyacense got off the road and fell in a bush with other runners. The Colombian’s teammates slowed down when they noticed he wasn’t with them and, later, they got off their bikes to help him.
Despite the initial concern, Nairo let out a smile next to the car Arkea Samsic and got back on his bike. Thanks to the work of his teammates, the national cyclist was able to return to the peloton without suffering major consequences.
However, the second mishap, less than 3.1 kilometers for the arrival, yes it was of a greater magnitude and left it several lasers on the left side of his body. Although the causes of the accident were not revealed in the transmission, the main group stopped then, when the cyclists opened up to continue the course, Nairo and his brother Dayer Quintana were seen lying on the asphalt.
Also, to Nairo’s misfortune, the peloton had upped the pace against the sprint definition, so this was cut and lost 1 minute and 44 seconds compared to other runners. Dayer, for his part, relented. 3 minutes and 40 seconds.
On his arrival, the cyclist from Cómbita, Boyacá presented injuries to his shoulder, elbow, hip, thighs, knees and calves on the left side. To date Arkéa Samsic has not delivered an official medical report on the condition of Nairo and Dayer: “More information to come during the day,” wrote the France team on its social networks.
Following the accidents, Nairo went down to the box 80 of the general classification, 1:58″ from australia Kaden Groves (Team BikeExchange – Jayco), who took the lead after win in this second stage of the Turkish race. The day included a visit to 156.4 kilometers among the populations of Selcuk Yes Alacati.
Although there have been some reductions due to the strong winds, most of the runners arrived together facing the definition. The groves planned in the packaging and managed to defeat the Belgian Jasper Philipsen (Alpecin-Fenix) and Irish Sam Bennett (BORA-hansgrohe).
This Tuesday will be third daythe shortest of this edition, on 117.9 kilometersfrom Cesme and ending in the coastal town of Izmir. This fraction will be a new opportunity for sprinters can understandsince, apart from a fourth category port at kilometer 27 most of the route will be apartment.
1. Kaden Groves (Australia/Team BikeExchange – Jayco) – 4:02:11″
2. Jasper Philipsen (Belgium/Alpecin-Fenix) – mt
3. Sam Bennett (Ireland/BORA – hansgrohe) – mt
4. Cees Bol (Netherlands/Team DSM) – mt
5. Caleb Ewan (Australia/Lotto Soudal) – mt
39. Brandon Rojas (Colombia/Drone Hopper – Androni Giocattoli) – mt
121. Nairo Quintana (Colombia / Arkéa Samsic) – 1h44″
132. Jhojan García (Colombia/Caja Rural – Insurance) – 2:42″
54. Dayer Quintana (Colombia/Arkéa Samsic) – 3h40″
1. Kaden Groves (Australia/Team BikeExchange – Jayco) – 8:40:12″
2. Jasper Philipsen (Belgium/Alpecin-Fenix) – 0:02″
3. Caleb Ewan (Australia/Lotto Soudal) – 0:04″
4. Cees Bol (Netherlands/DSM Team) – 0:14″
5. Danny van Poppel (Netherlands/BORA – hansgrohe) – 0:14″
70. Brandon Rojas (Colombia/Drone Hopper – Androni Giocattoli) – 0:57″
80. Nairo Quintana (Colombia/Arkéa Samsic) – 1:58″
89. Jhojan García (Colombia/Caja Rural – Insurance) – 3:01″
93. Dayer Quintana (Colombia/Arkéa Samsic) – 3:59″