When can you travel to the United States?

Currently traveling to the United States from European countries They are not allowed in the wake of COVID-19. However, it is possible that the advancement of vaccination campaigns will help speed up movement reactivation.

United States health authorities have imposed a series of travel restrictions on its territory during the pandemic. Some of these restrictions apply directly to Schengen countries, such as Spain.

Spaniards who want to vacation in the United States once travel resumes will need an ESTA electronic authorization. This includes minors.

The ESTA travel permit application process for children in the United States is the same as for adults. In this article you will find the information you need for your trip from Spain to the United States:

  • Documents needed to travel
  • Travel restrictions to the United States for Spaniards during the pandemic
  • How to get the ESTA travel permit for you and your family (including children)

When can I travel to the United States from Spain?

At the moment it is difficult to predict a precise date for the resumption of travel from Spain to the United States.

By presidential executive order, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is currently imposing entry bans for a list of countries around the world. This list includes the 26 Schengen countries, a territory of which Spain is part.

According to this regulation, travelers who have stayed in Spain during the previous 14 days They are prohibited from entering the United States.

These lists are constantly updated according to the evolution of the pandemic, the emergence of new variants and the progress of vaccination campaigns around the world.
The CDC already has a series of recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated citizens wishing to travel to and from the United States.

Spanish passport holders, who have received full doses of vaccines and come from a country that is not subject to restrictions, could travel to the United States following a series of entry requirements.

Requirements to enter the United States from Spain

Anticipating a future resumption of travel, among the requirements for visiting the United States from Spain are:

  • to be in possession of a spanish passport valid (biometric) and current
  • Have an ESTA electronic travel authorization for your tourist or business stay in the United States
  • Have an ESTA permit for children in case of travel with minors

To remember: Spain is included in the visa waiver program or Visa Waiver Program (WVP) of the United States. For this reason, Spaniards do not need a visa for their trips to the United States (as long as they do not exceed 90 days).

How to process an ESTA from Spain

Get an ESTA visa waiver from Spain it is very simple. The process is done online by filling out an electronic application form.

You will need to complete the ESTA form with your personal information, your travel details and some health and safety questions. The process will not take more than 20 minutes.

Once the form is completed, you will receive your approved ESTA in your email address.

The travel permit will be electronically linked to your passport. This is why the valid and current travel document is essential to process your application.

Important: Although the ESTA authorizes a stay of up to 3 months in the territory, it is the United States immigration officer who determines the maximum duration of stay in the territory.

Do children need ESTA to travel to the United States?

All Spaniards wishing to travel to the United States need an approved ESTA. This includes minors.

The adult, parent or legal guardian of the minor must complete the ESTA application form on their behalf. Alternatively, it is possible to perform a ESTA application for groupsyou can include your whole family.

What do I need to process an ESTA for children?

Children under 18 must have your own passport valid to benefit from an ESTA and cannot appear in the adult’s passport.

The ESTA application process for your children or minors you are traveling with is basically the same as for adults.

In addition to the information requested from the minor, information relating to family ties, traveller’s place of residence, full address and passport details will be requested.

Adults applying for ESTA for children must select a specific section of the form to indicate that it is done on behalf of the minor.

It is recommended to apply with at least 72 hours in advance during the trip, to anticipate any unforeseen events with the minor’s file.

Leave a Comment